Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Yamaha leaves Superbike series

By John Hopkins

STIRLING, ON -- Yamaha Motor Canada has announced its withdrawal from the Parts Canada Superbike Championship, citing the economy as the primary reason for the decision.

Tim Kennedy, the company's national marketing manager, announced the move at a meeting of the series manufacturer partners on Wednesday morning.

“Today’s economic climate forces us all to make tough decisions,” said Kennedy in a press release from the company. “Our participation in the series was one of them. Racing is integral to the Yamaha brand, and we will re-visit this opportunity in the future.”

In a press release issued by the series, Colin Fraser of Professional Motorsports Productions, which administers the national championship, said he was sorry to see Yamaha go.

"They have been a valued manufacturer partner from day one and have a long history of success in our sport," he added.

Yamaha riders have taken six Canadian Superbike titles, the first coming from Toronto's Miles Baldwin in 1982 aboard a TZ750 and the most recent from Pascal Picotte of Granby, Que. in 2003 and 2004 aboard a YZF-R1. Art Robbins, Steve Crevier and Michel Mercier also won titles riding Yamahas.

Last season Andre Laurin and his OTSFF squad handled Yamaha’s Canadian road racing program with assistance from Evan Steele Performance and sponsorship from Toyota Canada. Lead rider Kevin Lacombe of Granby rode a YZF-R1 to sixth in Parts Canada Superbike points with podium finishes in four of the seven races and took third in the Yoshimura Pro Sport Bike standings.

His rookie team-mates Royce McLean and Tony Kasper finished ninth and 12th in the Pro Sport Bike championship, respectively. The 14-year-old McLean was particularly impressive and the Coaldale, Alta. rider looked set to take the HJC Pro Rookie of the Year award before an injury in the penultimate race of the year sidelined him.

"Andre Laurin and the OTSFF team were a welcome addition to our series last year," added Fraser in the series press release. "They brought a very professional program to the national tour and we were looking forward to working with them in 2010."

The Yamaha decision follows the loss of Buell from the Parts Canada Superbike Championship after parent company Harley-Davidson announced it was discontinuing the brand. However, sources indicate that Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada was investigating ways of staying involved with the national championship.

The series press release added that Parts Canada, Pirelli, BMW Motorrad Canada, Canadian Kawasaki Motors, Honda Canada and Suzuki Canada still remain committed to the series. A 2010 schedule was expected to be rubber-stamped at the Wednesday morning meeting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive