Friday, August 21, 2009

Career high for Taylor

From Donald Taylor

Deeley Harley-Davidson Buell dirt track racer Donald Taylor of Welland, ON scored a Pro career high fourth place at the AMA Pro Twins flat track race on the Beulah Park mile track in Grove City, OH last weekend.

In oppressively hot and humid conditions with trackside temperatures hovering at 100 degrees Farhenheit, Taylor rode the Harley XR750 dirt track racer to seventh in the first qualifying session and then in the second opportunity improved his standing to fifth fastest, which earned him a front row start for his heat race.

He did not squander his chance and scored a runaway win in the 10-lap heat race. Heat was the operative word as shortly after his post race interview with AMA announcer Scott Duebler, Taylor fell to his knees, overcome by the high temperature and humidity.

“I thought I was going to be sick in my helmet,” he explained. “I was dizzy and nauseous and I started seeing black spots in my vision and I thought I was going to faint, the heat was hell on me. One of the other racers is a personal fitness trainer and he got me some energy drink and food and I just sat and relaxed and waited for the final.”

Taylor had some concerns going into the 25-lap Grand National final but the rehydration did the trick and he was as good as new as he took his spot on the front row starting line beside the greatest flat track racers in the world.

“I knew this wasn’t going to be easy,” he admitted. “I wanted to get into the top five but I really wasn’t sure if I could do it. And I sure didn’t think I could do it after that start.”

His reference was to a missed shift coming off the line that caused him to be clipped by the American champion Kenny Coolbeth and left him in last place entering turn 1 for the first time.

“I really didn’t think I could make top five after that,” he reflected “I don’t know how I saved it, I was sure I was going down but then I just got on the gas and put my head down and went to work.”

Taylor displayed his work ethic for the next 20 minutes as he reeled in the race leaders, passing 14 other riders. He got by Coolbeth and former champ Chris Carr in one move late in the race and then caught sight of Bryan Smith and Sammy Halbert, both GNC winners this year.

“I started getting excited, I thought I was third,” he said. “I didn’t realize that Joe (Kopp) had such a big lead over us.”

Taylor was closing on Halbert when they came up on a lapped rider. Halbert chose the inside line but there was only room for one so Taylor swung to the outside, but at that point the lapper also went to the outside and Taylor was forced well off the racing line and his drive was slowed. He settled for fourth, his best AMA GNC finish to date.

“I’m very happy with this,” the Canadian Champion exclaimed. “And I know it could have been better. I really have to thank George and Chris Evans. George did the motor for me and Chris set up the bike and it was perfect. I made one gearing change after qualifying and Steve Beattie kept an eye on me and made some changes to the set up but that was it. Now I’m really looking forward to Indy.”

Taylor’s next ride in the AMA Pro series comes at the famous Indianapolis Mile on Aug. 29.

Meanwhile, this weekend he will race in defense of his Canadian crown at the Leamington, ON half-mile.

The Deeley rider also enjoys support from Clare’s Cycle Harley-Davidson of Niagara, Scorpion Helmets and Performance Under Gear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive