Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lawrence wins in Welland

From Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada

WELLAND, ON – Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada-sponsored Donald Taylor scored a hard fought third place in the Open Expert Class Final at Niagara Motorcycle Raceway last Saturday night to keep the points lead he had established with his win in the opening round.

Taylor was in a tight pack with Doug Lawrence and Chris Evans and the three contenders separated from the rest of the 15-rider field.

Lawrence, on the American Harley-Davidson/Kurt Biegger entry, won his first race of the year with Evans on the George Evans Racing bike in second, and Taylor in third on an XR750 motorcycle prepared by Jim Sehl.

“It was a weird main event," the six-time champion commented. “The track was well-prepped, but it was a bit slippery and you really had to ride smart and hard. I ran second and was trying to find a way past Doug and I was really pushing him. I left rubber marks on his leathers and his bike and then Evans did the same to me.”

Evans pushed Taylor off the groove and into third place where he would remain until race completion.

“It was a good night really,” Taylor commented. “I won the lightweight race on the same bike I won on last week, but this was a new bike to me and we still have some work to do. I felt really comfortable on it and I know I’m going to get faster with it. I wasn’t tired after the main event, so I’m back in shape.

"I do have the points lead, but it’s only one point and I’ve got to admit, it’s tougher than I expected. Lawrence is just flying and I’m really surprised with Chris, but like I say, I’m going to get faster and I hope to start gapping them by mid-season.”

Round three of the Canadian Motorcycle Association 2011 Dirt Track National Championships runs Saturday evening, June 25 at the Niagara Raceway in Welland.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive