Monday, August 30, 2010

Gerloff completes hat trick; Young fifth

From the USGPRU
Photo by Kendrick Kirk

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - Garrett Gerloff completed the hat trick at the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix, winning Sunday’s Rev’It Moriwaki MD250H Powered by Honda race as well as taking the win on Saturday and qualifying on pole in Friday’s qualifying session.

Gerloff got off to a strong start to take the lead into the first turn and continued to pull away during the race. As in Saturday’s race, a battle for second place developed immediately between Nick McFadden, Jake Lewis, Ryan Matter and Stefano Mesa.

“I definitely got a better start today,” said Gerloff. “I led into turn one and really tried to put my head down and run away. Jake and Nick stayed with me the first couple of laps. I was getting kind of nervous, but I started to pull away little by little and I was monitoring the gap on my pit board.”

Gerloff continued to run faster laps than the group fighting over second, and his margin of victory was 11.33 secs. at the end of the 11-lap race.

McFadden dropped back early in the race after a poor start.

“I got off to a worse start than I did yesterday, and I just dropped back the first three laps,” said McFadden. “After that, I got in a rhythm, put my head down and caught back up to these guys.”

Matter was the young man on the move, drafting past both McFadden and Lewis, who had held down second for the first seven laps. McFadden was shuffled back to fourth, but not for long. 

“I sat there for a couple of laps, then made a move,” said McFadden. “With two laps to go, I figured it was getting to the end of the race and I needed to get up there. I made a pass into turn one and held them both off until the end.”

Lewis was shuffled from second back to fourth place with four laps to go. The difference at the finish between the three riders was a mere .228 secs.  

Mesa faded to fifth, then was caught and passed on the last lap by Collingwood, ON's Ben Young. Nick Hansen, Grayson Gerloff and Joe Roberts rounded out the top nine positions.

As on Saturday, there was a six-rider race-long battle over 10th place that ended with Kaleb De Keyrel over Max Flinders, Andre Ochs, Tyler Linders, Lex Hartl and Brandon Altmeyer.

Results (Top 10)
1. Garrett Gerloff
2. Nick McFadden +11.333
3. Jake Lewis  +11.373
4. Ryan Matter  +11.561
5. Ben Young  +27.998
6. Stefano Mesa +28.579
7. Nick Hansen +31.430
8. Grayson Gerloff +32.363
9. Joe Roberts +34.756
10. Kaleb De Keyrel +52.594

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive