Monday, August 30, 2010

Gerloff wins, Young 10th at Indy

From the USGPRU

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - Garrett Gerloff took the lead on the second lap and never looked back, taking a convincing win in the Rev'It Moriwaki MD250H Powered by Honda race on a sunny Saturday afternoon at the 2010 Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix.

Starting from pole, Gerloff was beat to turn one by Jake Lewis with Peter Lenz in pursuit. Gerloff went past Lenz and set out after Lewis, who led the first lap. Gerloff went past on lap two and immediately pulled out a lead that grew each lap.

“I was a little worried,” said Gerloff. “Peter got around me after I ran off the track a little bit. I passed Peter and caught back up to Jake, just trying to keep focused. I tried to pull away and not have as much pressure at the end if he was right behind me.”

Lewis tried valiantly to hang with Gerloff, going half a second faster than he had qualified, but to no avail.

“I was trying to hang on and pushing it to the limit, but he was just going really good today,” said Lewis. “Halfway through the race I looked back and saw Nick [McFadden] and Peter right there, and I was like ‘Gosh, I didn’t know they were still there’, so I started pushing even harder. Towards the end of the race, my foot started slipping off the peg and I made some silly mistakes and they caught right up. Nick passed me after the finish, it was close but that was good.”

McFadden was able to go with the lead group at the start, and passed Lenz on lap four. Lenz latched on and pushed McFadden to the end, both riders turning their fastest laps on the last lap as they saw they were closing on Lewis.

“I was just trying to catch up after getting a bad start,” McFadden said. “Stefano Mesa passed me going off the back straightaway, and I got separated from him and Peter a pretty good ways. I just put my head down and tried to catch up. After I caught Stefano and got past Peter, I could see we were reeling in Jake. About halfway through the race, Peter showed me a wheel and I just outbroke him and kept my head down.”

Stefano Mesa held on to finish fifth, four seconds ahead of Ryan Matter, who finished four seconds ahead of Joe Roberts in seventh place.

Grayson Gerloff won a race-long battle over eighth place ahead of Nick Hansen, Collingwood, ON's Ben Young, Andre Ochs and Austin Medrano, with the five riders nose-to-tail throughout the race.

Results (Top 10)
1. Garrett Gerloff         
2. Jake Lewis +12.397
3. Nick McFadden +12.603
4. Peter Lenz +12.649
5. Stefano Mesa +26.861
6. Ryan Matter +30.745
7. Joe Roberts +34.756
8. Grayson Gerloff +44.491
9. Nick Hansen +44.801
10. Ben Young +45.331

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive