Monday, August 30, 2010

Spies claims first MotoGP pole

From motogp.com

Ben Spies will start a MotoGP race from pole position for the first time on Sunday at Indianapolis after the rookie laid down a fantastic hot lap in qualifying on Saturday.

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rookie posted a best time of 1:40.105 on his 26th of 28 laps, delighting the home crowd and enjoying another highlight in what has already been an eventful weekend following confirmation of his factory ride for 2011.

“This is a great feeling for me to get my first MotoGP pole position and for it to come in front of the American crowd and here at Indianapolis with all the history makes it even more special,” said a delighted Spies. “And I'm glad for the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team too. This team helped catapult me into this position and I've been trying to give as much for them as I can, even though I'll be moving to Yamaha's factory team next year.

“I've got to say I really put it on the line this afternoon. I'd come so close at Brno a couple of weeks ago to getting my first pole position and I really wanted to finish the job on home soil. There was no way coming into this weekend that I thought this result was possible. But I've been able to do it and now I'm going to concentrate on getting a good start and giving it everything in the race. I'd love a podium and my best result at home but I'm not going to get ahead of myself. But right now I'll certainly enjoy today.”

Spies was 0.220 secs. quicker than Championship leader and last year’s race winner Jorge Lorenzo, who took his Fiat Yamaha M1 machine round in the second fastest time, and there was further joy for the American fans as Nicky Hayden took his first Ducati front-row place with third.

Lorenzo was happy with second in Saturday’s qualifying session as he maintained his record of having qualified on the front row for every race so far this season.

Given the soaring temperatures which saw the track measurement rise to over 50ºC and therefore affect grip, Lorenzo was content with a central spot on the front row.

"This was a really difficult session because it was so hot and the track was very slippery and bumpy, it was hard to know what to expect,” said Lorenzo. “Luckily we managed a good lap and I'm happy with second place, Ben's lap was amazing so well done to him.”

Hayden was smiling after taking his first front-row start with Ducati. The 29-year-old, who had led the session at one stage, was just 0.231 secs. off top spot.

"I finally got my first front row with Ducati - it only took a year and a half,” quipped Hayden. “We're really happy for it though especially because it's so important for tomorrow's race.

“If I want to be running up front tomorrow I have to be there from the start and I told Juan [Martinez, crew chief] before the session that we were due a front row and today was the day to get it. We found a decent setting on race tires and when we put the soft compound in the jump was so big it felt like the kind of qualifying tires we used to have.”

Andrea Dovizioso had held top spot briefly and his best time of 1:40.559 placed him fourth on the starting grid, with his Repsol Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa fifth at just under eight-hundredths further back.

Casey Stoner, who had been fastest in both practice sessions, could only qualify in sixth as he lapped 0.559 secs. off the pace of Spies on his Ducati Desmosedici GP10.

The third row will be headed up by Valentino Rossi (Fiat Yamaha) and the Italian was left frustrated but uninjured when he fell at turn six with little over five minutes to go – his second fall of the day following an earlier one in practice.

Marco Simoncelli (San Carlo Honda Gresini) also had a crash in the final stages of the session but managed to secure eighth place, equalling his best qualification so far this season, with Colin Edwards (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) and Loris Capirossi (Rizla Suzuki) completing the top 10.

Hiroshi Aoyama (Interwetten Honda MotoGP Team) was 13th in his first QP since returning from injury, while Aleix Espargaró (Pramac Racing) had a fall at turn 13 and eventually qualified in 14th.

MotoGP Qualifying Results
1. Ben SPIES (USA) Monster Tech 3 Yamaha 1:40.105
2. Jorge LORENZO (SPA) Fiat Yamaha 1:40.325
3. Nicky HAYDEN (USA) Ducati 1:40.336
4. Andrea DOVIZIOSO (ITA) Repsol Honda 1:40.559
5. Dani PEDROSA (SPA) Repsol Honda 1:40.637
6. Casey STONER (AUS) Ducati 1:40.664
7. Valentino ROSSI (ITA) Fiat Yamaha 1:41.005
8. Marco SIMONCELLI (ITA) San Carlo Gresini Honda 1:41.092
9. Colin EDWARDS (USA) Monster Tech 3 Yamaha 1:41.232
10. Loris CAPIROSSI (ITA) Rizla Suzuki 1:41.512
11. Alvaro BAUTISTA (SPA) Rizla Suzuki 1:41.534
12. Marco MELANDRI (ITA) San Carlo Gresini Honda 1:41.623
13. Hiroshi AOYAMA (JPN) Interwetten Honda 1:41.631
14. Aleix ESPARGARO (SPA) Pramac Ducati 1:41.649
15. Mika KALLIO (FIN) Pramac Ducati 1:41.856
16. Hector BARBERA (SPA) Paginas Amarillas Aspar Ducati 1:41.896
17. Randy DE PUNIET (FRA) LCR Honda 1:41.923

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive