Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Things We Do For Love

*** continued from previous post ***


After horking a delicious road burger we noticed something odd - the temperature, which if you'll remember started out in the low 50s, and had dropped to the low 30s at the top of the pass, had firmly planted itself around 100 degrees.  I had warmed up long ago, and was feeling fine and fresh in my mesh.  Your Mom, bless her little heart, was not fairing so well.  She had taken her lining out of the jacket, shed layer after layer like a snake in spring until she was down to a T-Shirt.  She'd traded her heavy gloves for a lighter pair, and was still sweating.  Quite profusely I might add.

"Go ahead.  Say it," she said as she crammed her shed clothes into a zippered pocket on the nylon bag.

"Wouldn't think of it dear," I said and patted her on the arm.

Relief filled her eyes and I could see a little tension ease from her shoulders, "Thank you."

"Think nothing or it.  These are the things we do for love."

That brought a smile to her face.  "So, just for giggles, if you weren't so nice, what would you have said?"   

"For giggles?  Okay.  I may," I said, and busied myself with putting my gloves back on, "although it would be quite rude and unnecessary, pointed out the fact that, except for a brief time on the pass, you made the wrong choice of gear, and will now boil like a lobster for the remainder of the vacation, until you dehydrate into nothing more than a dried husk of your former self.  And I certainly wouldn't point out the fact that I had told you so.  Or, that if we had the UberBitchin' Tote 9000, I could have whipped you up an iced espresso at any given moment thereby saving you from death by thirst and at the same time searched on the Netz for how to remove sweat stains from chrome.  But I, m'lady, am a gentleman above all else, so I shan't say a thing."

She shook her head and chuckled softly.  "It's a good thing I love you so much."

For that she got a nice long hug.  I would have held her longer but she was beginning to smell a bit.  Plus she was a slightly slippery to the touch.  One sweaty, sweaty little lady.  Eww.

*** the journey continues tomorrow *** 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive