Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Amantini and Dominguez take titles

By Don Empey

SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC -- Fernando Amantini captured the Latin American Superbike title for Venezuela and for Kawasaki on Sunday.

After winning the opening two races of the event on the Mobil 1 Circuit in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic on Saturday, Amantini rode to second and fifth place results in Sunday's final two rounds.

With a ninth and a sixth place result in the final two superbike races Franklyn Dominguez captured his fourth Dominican Republic National Superbike title. On the podium the Seamont/Holt/Orion Motorsport Kawasaki rider initially held the Dominican national flag and then was thrown the Canadian flag and as he hoisted both, he was given a huge ovation.

“We had a really tough weekend you know, a lot of trouble on the track," the Parts Canada Superbike Championship regular admitted. "I’ve just been lucky this weekend. The Latin American championship is already gone so I’m really happy to get my fourth Dominican championship.

"I want to thank Andrew Nelson for everything he did for me. He never stopped working on the bike and it’s because of him that I am the National champion again.”

Nelson had been scheduled to compete in the event aboard the BMW S1000RR he took to second place in the Parts Canada Superbike series, but the Kars, ON native was relegated to the role of spectator due to technical issues in practice and qualifying. He did, however, lend a hand to the large Canadian contingent participating in all classes, including Dominguez.

Top Canadian finisher was Jean Francois Cyr, who was philosophical after picking up his third top 10 finish in a row in Sunday's opening race on an essentially stock Suzuki GSX-R750.

“Nothing has changed,” the self-sponsored Quebec star said with a smile. “The superbikes are simply too fast for me. Everything I do, all the ground I make up in the corners I lose on the straight. Next time I’m going to bring a superbike or maybe I’ll have the 750 but with a lot more horsepower.

"But like I said before, it’s OK, I’m on vacation and still having fun. This race, these races are not that important to me."

Dominican racers Emilio Pena and Waldis Veras won Sunday's Superbike races, both aboard Suzukis.

Round Three Results
1. Emilio Pena (D-R Suz)
2. Waldis Veras (D-R Suz)
3. Barret Long (USA Duc)
4. Nirio Rivero (Cuba Suz)
5. Fernando Amantini (Ven Kaw)
6. Marco Martinez (Ven Suz)
7. Expidito Peralta (D-R Suz)
8. Jean Francois Cyr (Can Suz)
9. Franklyn Dominguez (D-R Kaw)
10. Maurico Roque (Guat Yam)

Round Four Results
1. Waldis Veras (D-R Suz)
2. Fernando Amantini (Ven Kaw)
3. Barret Long (USA Duc)
4. Nirio Rivero
5. Expidito Peralta
6. Franklyn Dominguez
7. Mauricio Roque
8. Emlio Pena
9. Franklin Reveron
10. Victor Alegria

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive