Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gareau-Dominguez just misses title

By Don Empey

SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC -- Canadian riders had a chance to shine in the support classes at the Latin American Superbike Championship in the Dominican Republic last weekend, although there was some disappointment.

In the Amateur class Vanessa Gareau-Dominguez was set to capture the Dominican national class championship and was running a studied race in second position when on lap five her hand came up as the Seamont/Holt/Orion Motorsport-sponsored racer realized her motor was expiring.

"I wanted to win that race so bad,” said a bitterly disappointed Gareau-Dominguez, her voice cracking with emotion. “I could have been the first woman to win a Dominican championship. This is the worst thing that I’ve experienced in racing.”

Brian Kamp became the Canuck torch bearer as he gamely diced with the race leaders, running in second on the Racer5/Riders Choice/Blue Streak entry. Kamp was shunted down to third on lap six and then handed second as the same rider took a off track excursion. Less than two laps later Kamp had been reeled in and was once again in third, where he would finish.

“That was fast, I had to really pick up the pace," Kamp admitted. "It was a bit scary going into [turn] one the first time with all the bikes and stuff. I know Vanessa got a great start so I was trying to catch up so I could get on the podium. Then in the horseshoe I got on the gas a bit hard and I was shot out of the seat.

"I had to keep telling myself to calm down, just take it easy and not tire myself out. I had a few moments out there; there was some touching but that’s racing, right? I wanted to take second but I got out motored down the straight. But hey, I’m not disappointed. I didn’t crash and I made a podium so it’s all good.”

Paul Hollister, who rode the Select Tool/Seamont/Acme Slate Honda CBR600 and Andre Lavoie battled near the back of the pack. The CyRacing-sponsored Lavoie had not expected to race and had initially come to assist his friend Jean-Francois Cyr, who was running in the Superbike class.

Samantha Goyer and Ray Gauthier did not get a chance to compete as the front forks on their shared Capital Motorsports/Pete’s Sales and Service Suzuki GSX-R600 developed a huge leak that coated the front wheel in lubricant. That defect was noticed as Goyer pulled into the pit lane after practice.

In the 600 Sportbike race Joey McRae and Sylvain Dery were Canada’s flag bearers, both riders starting from the front row. Dery, on the Shawinigan Hyundai-sponsored Yamaha started from the pole.

At the green light Dery lifted his front end and in correcting lost his drive into turn one, entering in fourth place. McRae had launched very well and had the Kahuna Powersports/Graves Yamaha/Fast Co. machine in front of the pack.

As the riders made their way past the finish line to recorded lap one McRae held the lead and Dery, with a inspired ride had moved into second. His charge was for naught however as a crash had brought out the red flag.

On the restart both Canadians launched well and quickly sped off at the front. McRae led initially but before the end of lap one Dery was in front. Dery continued as front man while McRae dropped to third on lap three. A couple of laps later Dery came under pressure and lost the lead, eventually finishing in second, some 15 seconds behind the winner.

“The first start was not very good for me but the red flag gave me another chance," Dery said. "The second start was much better and I was behind Joey for maybe one or two laps then he made a mistake going onto one and I caught him. I tried to get a bit of a gap because I knew there was a fast guy coming behind us. I held my position for I think two or three laps and he caught me. I was getting a little tired and he was much tougher than me so he just pulled away.”

McRae wound up in a last lap battle for the final podium position and came up just short of a place on the box.

“I thought I could pull it out," he explained. "We made some changes to the bike and they just didn’t work at all. After the first lap I pulled a bit of a gap and I thought, 'I can’t keep this pace up or I’m going to end up on my ass.'

"I knew that guy was catching me [for third] but I thought I could pass him back on the last lap. I caught him going into [turn] three but the problem was I was concentrating on him and I chose the wrong gear coming out and I couldn’t get the drive. Then I tried again in six and I think I scared him a bit. From there it was the run to the flag and I guess I came up a bit short.”

Dery had a very short rest and recharge opportunity before his second race in a row in the Pre Expert class. In that contest he enterd turn one in fourth place but quickly moved up a notch as he passed into second place in turn three and gave chase to the leader, the two combatants quickly putting distance between themselves and the pack.

As the race wound down the leaders' advantage extended and as in his first race, Dery became aware that the third place rider was closing on him. Once more he increased his personal pace to secure his second consecutive podium.

“I couldn’t see my pit signal because there were too many people on the wall," Dery said. "I could see my lap time but not the gap, but I looked back a couple of times so I knew he was coming. I tried to put in a couple of fast laps and that’s about it.

"The bike worked really good in both races but in the second race my tires were getting a bit slippery so I was taking it a bit easy. Naturally I would like to win but second place is really good in this class, these guys are fast.

"Andrew [Nelson] was a great help to me. He helped with my geometry and with the front suspension and that helped me go much faster.”

Photos from the event and festivities can be seen at http://www.pbase.com/don_empey_photography/dominican.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive