Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Gathering Gloom

*** continued from previous post ***

Funny thing about what Sweet Alice is showing me. It looks like this road, a very major road by Canadian standards, it about to end. Abruptly. In about 5 miles. (Or about 9 kilometers in hippie-speak.) Directly into a huge lake. I blink, thinking I've seen wrong. No, there is no mistake, the road just ends.

I lean back in the seat, and motion for Mom to raise her visor. "Hey, get a load of this. The road just ends. It runs into a lake."

"Really?" Mom says. "Well, is there another road we can take?"

"Funny thing, that," I answer, trying to mask the panic in my voice, "No. According to the GPS, this is the only road. For like . . . miles."

"Oh," Mom says, with no surprise in her voice. "Is there a bridge?"

I consult the oracle of Sweet Alice. "Ummm . . . no."

I zoom out on the map. There is a dotted line across the lake labeled "Ferry".

"It says we have to take a ferry," I tell her, just as we pass a sign that says "Shelter Bay - Galena Bay Ferry 10 km."

"Cool!" Mom replies and settles back in her seat. She loves Ferries.

"Yeah," I agree, and pull down my face-shield.

I'm thinking that a Ferry ride is going to be a nice little break. And how pretty is this going to be? I mean we are in the middle of INCREDIBLE scenery. There's no wind. The sun is. . . hey . . . where did the sun go? I hadn't noticed that. Ah well, it is still warm.

So there are a few clouds. Big deal. We may get a sprinkle or two. Just a passing summer storm. I'm a Northwest boy. I can take it.

I mean. . . how bad can it get?

Right?


* * *


September 23, 2008

Dear Amber,

I hope you enjoyed these installments on what has turned out to be quite a trip. Buckle up - we haven't even reached the good stuff yet.

Oh! I watched “An Officer and a Gentleman” last night. If they try and give you the call sign ‘Goose’, run and don’t look back.

Love you,
Daddio

PS. Your car was stolen and set afire last night. It was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.



*** the journey continues after the New Year with Chapter 4 - Ferry of the Damned! ***

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive