Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Taylor back on track

From Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada

WELLAND, ON – Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada-sponsored flat track racer, Donald Taylor made a successful return to Canadian action in the Expert Open Division of the Canadian Motorcycle Association-hosted first round of the Dirt Track National Championships. Taking first place in a hard-fought 15-lap final gives Taylor an early points lead in his quest for his seventh CMA number one plate.

Riding the Jim Sehl-prepared Harley-Davidson XR750, Taylor showed great speed and most importantly, patience in winning the Open Expert National Championship final.

“I got the holeshot in the 450 race, but I really blew the Open start," the Wellend, ON racer explained. "I was third or fourth going into the first turn and remember thinking ‘this isn’t going to be easy.' Everyone was running at the same speed, so making a pass was next to impossible. I had to tell myself to wait, have patience, wait for someone to make a mistake.”

Taylor did not have to wait long, as on lap eight race leader Jon Cornwell crashed on the back straight and took out Doug Beattie and Chris Evans in the process.

“I was so lucky to not have been caught in that mess. I was dodging riders and bikes and pieces, weaving through them," the much-relieved Taylor related.

On the restart, Taylor took control. He was first into turn one and was never seriously threatened for the remaining laps as he cruised to the first of what he hopes will be many wins in Canada this year.

“It feels great to win the first one of the year,” he confirmed. “My priority this year is the Canadian National Championship and the number one plate for Deeley Harley-Davidson and I think we have a good start towards that. Having Deeley behind me, and Jim Sehl preparing my bikes, means a lot to me. I don’t want to get overconfident, but I do feel really good about this year.”

Taylor sees action again this weekend on June 18 at the Niagara Raceway in round two of the 2011 CMA Dirt Track Championships.

For further information on dirt track racing events and results, please refer to www.canmocycle.ca.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive