Thursday, July 24, 2008

Walker returns to World Superbike

From Paul Bird Motorsport

Paul Bird Motorsport has announced the signing of British rider Chris Walker to race for the Vent Axia VK team for the rest of the 2008 Hannspree World Superbike Championship.

The 36-year-old from Nottinghamshire will join existing rider Gregorio Lavilla in the team for the remaining five rounds commencing at Brands Hatch over the weekend of Aug. 1-3.

Walker, four times a runner-up in the British Superbike Championship, has been racing in the World Supersport Championship this season but hasn't enjoyed the best of luck on his Kawasaki so the rider who has 138 WSB races and 12 podiums under his belt is relishing the opportunity of racing a superbike again.

After a successful test at Oulton Park Wednesday aboard the team's recently built 1000cc Honda Fireblade, both Walker and team owner Paul Bird were delighted to shake on the deal which will see 'The Stalker' as the only permanent British rider in the series.

"When I set off on the bike, it very nearly pulled my wig off and it reminded me of just what I've been missing in Superbikes," said Walker. "It's a massive opportunity for me and one which I don't intend to waste. Everyone knows this team has pedigree and they build awesome bikes so I know it will be competitive. I nearly signed for Birdy a few years ago and didn't so now I'm really looking forward to working with the team and also Greg, whom I have a lot of respect for."

"Running a second bike was always in the plan but we felt it best to help concentrate on giving Greg the best package possible," Bird said. "But now we have a couple of races at tracks both he and the team know, the time is right to introduce Chris who like Greg, knows his way round Brands and Donington. The plan thereafter is to go to the final three rounds brim full of confidence and get some results abroad that we know the bike and riders are capable of."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive