Friday, August 15, 2008

Hayes takes Xtreme pole

From amasuperbike.com

Fresh off his first AMA Formula Xtreme victory of the season, reigning category double champ Josh Hayes scooped up his third FX pole position this year Friday at VIR.

The Erion Honda ace leapt to the top of the charts in the final half of the session that saw the circuit quickly drying following a heavy rainfall. Hayes routinely led by multiple seconds as he continued to lower his times up the checkered flag.

He ultimately posted a best time of 1:28.494, fending off a late push by his teammate, current points leader Jake Zemke, who registered a 1:28.924.

Attack Kawasaki's Steve Rapp was third fastest at 1:29.704, followed by LeoVince Foremost Insurance Ducati's Larry Pegram at 1:30.308.

"Qualifying went well," Hayes said. "I think the key for me was that I came in on one bike that had rains on it -- I knew I could use the rains where it was still wet in several braking zones, but I was already to the point where I was leaning the bike over far enough that the rain tires were starting to move around and I knew it was hurting me. So I decided pretty early to come in and get the slicks and the slick-tire bike. I thought I could still gain more even if I was taking it easy where it was still wet. So I think I was one of the first guys to come in and get slicks..."

The second row will feature Aaron Gobert, Chaz Davies, Kars, ON's Andrew Nelson and Martin Cardenas.

The 17-lap FX race is scheduled for a 4:40pm local start time Saturday afternoon at Virginia International Raceway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive