Monday, November 17, 2008

Easton wins Macau Grand Prix

From Cartersport

Stuart Easton, riding the Doosan Honda CBR1000RR, won the 2008 Macau Grand Prix on Saturday.

Starting from sixth position, on row two of the grid, the 24-year-old Scotsman made a flying start and by the third corner had clawed his way up to third place behind multiple Macau GP winner Michael Rutter and race leader Cameron Donald.

On the second lap, Easton got the better of Rutter and moved into second place behind the Suzuki of double Isle of Man TT winner Donald.

Easton increased the pressure on the Australian's TAS Suzuki with each passing lap around the 6.12km Circuito Da Guia and on lap five, Donald suffered a mechanical failure forcing him to retire leaving Easton with a clear track ahead.

NW200 Ducati rider Rutter was chasing hard and by lap eight, the lead duo had broken clear of the following pack. By lap 13 there was a 20-second gap between the two frontrunners and third place man John McGuinness.

Rutter continued to pile on the pressure but Easton held off the Ducati challenge to cross the finish line 2.722 seconds ahead of the six-time winner.

"After qualifying, I told the team that I couldn't fault the bike and was feeling very confident about the race," Easton said. "I think it was fairly even between Michael and myself and during the mid-part of the race I have to admit I was feeling the pressure of leading. In the latter stages we had to clear groups of backmarkers which really focussed my mind and I realised I could win. I pushed hard during the last few laps I really dug deep."

Michael Barnes brought his VK Vent Axia Honda home in an impressive fifth position. It was the Floridian's best result since his fourth place back in 1993.

"I took it easy to start off with as the track was quite slippery early on so I just kept plugging away," Barnes said. "I played it safe and put in some good laps and I'm delighted with fifth position. I really have enjoyed the entire game, this team is something else and I've had a hoot."

Top Six Results
1. S Easton (Doosan Honda) 37:09.404
2. M Rutter (NW200 Ducati) 37:12.126
3. J McGuinness (Vent Axia Honda) 37:41.115
4. L Carreira (Benimoto Suzuki) 37:49.366
5. M Barnes (Vent Axia Honda) 37:49.386
6. S Thompson (Sloan Honda) 37:55.314

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive