Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Irnie to finish AM Sport Bike series

Story and photo courtesy Irnie Racing

Marcel Irnie will contest the final two rounds of the Armour Bodies Amateur Sport Bike Championship in Shubenacadie, NS Aug. 7-9 Shannonville, Ontario Sept. 4-6.  

The West Kelowna, BC racer placed his Irnieracing.com / AMSOIL Kawasaki ZX-6RR in second place at the third round of the series at Race City Motorsport Park in Calgary. He was involved in a race-long battle with Longueuil, QC’s Sebastian Tremblay until finally passing Tremblay two corners from the finish for second.

Irnie (pictured with Clint McBain, left, and fellow Amateur racer Cody Matechuk, right) experienced significant problems with both his bikes at Calgary. His 'A bike' was significantly down on horsepower and his 'B bike' hesitated at lower revs with the rear shock seemingly out of nitrogen.

“All of these mechanical problems tested my limited technical skills, but I am learning quickly the many aspects of racing," said Irnie. “I think I have my 'A bike' sorted out, and I am really looking forward to racing the Atlantic Motorsport Park at Shubenacadie. The track, the fans, the ambiance of the province are all great. Shannonville also brings many great memories and is a great place to race.”

Irnie will drive over 72 hours from Kelowna to Shubenacadie. He plans to camp in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Ontario for approximately six weeks. 

All of this could change, however, as Irnie is currently on an Evacuation Alert, with three forest fires burning out of control in West Kelowna.   

"This is nuts," he said. "I had to evacuate my bikes and equipment from Magna-Tech Services' property. I only had enough room for two bikes. My 'B bike' was sitting on jack stands, waiting on Ohlins Parts backordered from Sweden, so the choice was simple. I loaded my A bike, and my 450 dirtbike.

"Then I had to prepare for evacuating my home, due to the Glenrosa Fire now 500 hectares in size, only 1.3km east from where I live. I should be preparing for my six-week across Canada adventure. Instead I'm packing everything into my trailer and running from the fires."

The Rosevalley fire is 170 hectares, and growing rapidly with lots of fuel in the forest, and steep terrain enabling only air assaults on the fire.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive