Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Taylor dominates Leamington

From Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada

LEAMINGTON, ON – On an overcast day with the Leamington Fairgrounds half-mile track in excellent condition, Deeley Harley-Davidson/ Clare's Harley-Davidson of Niagara-sponsored Donald Taylor totally dominated the first long track event on the Canadian Motorcycle Association 2009 flat track schedule.

“I had a kind of rough start,” the five-time National Champion explained. “Both Jon Cornwell and John Parker beat me off the line but I ran them down on the back straight and passed them both in [turns] three and four. I knew once I got by them I’d be gone. The Harley-Davidson XR750 was running so strong and we had the set up perfect. I honestly don’t remember being so comfortable and confident in a race, I didn’t even raise a sweat.”

By the time the halfway flags were shown Taylor was already beginning to lap slower riders and his torrid race pace had him lapping over half of the 18-rider field. Those same lapped riders also caused some problems for the speedy champ.

“In the final four laps I was passing a lot of guys and they were all over the place using different lines that always seemed to conflict with mine. I had a really close call with a straw bale right on the track and I don’t know how I didn’t crash,” he admitted.

Post race Taylor was jubilant stating, “That was a blast. This thing (his HD XR750) is an absolute rocket, it worked so well and just went where I wanted it to, it was perfect.

"This was a perfect tune up for Hagerstown, MD next weekend. I feel pretty confident I can do well down there and qualify for the show again.”

This performance in Leamington has put Taylor in a good stead towards what he hopes will be his sixth consecutive Canadian Dirt Track Championship and accompanying number one plate. His existing score of five plates in a row has already established a Canadian record.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive