Sunday, July 19, 2009

Schouten wins Women's Cup at Mosport

By John Hopkins

BOWMANVILLE, ON – Vicki Schouten of Richmond, ON led all the way on her Kahuna Powersports Kawasaki ZX-6R to win the Pro Honda Oils Women’s Cup race at Mosport International Raceway on Saturday.

Schouten started from pole and quickly pulled clear in the eight-lap race around the 3.9km (2.459-mile) track to claim her second win of the season. She was also victorious at Calabogie Motorsports Park in May.

Genevieve Lesieur took second aboard the Chaine Performance Suzuki GSX-R600 and Natalie Catherine Provost completed the podium aboard the Les Souers en Vrac Honda CBR600RR.

"I knew Gigi had been setting some fast times this morning and I wanted to get out front and stay out front," said Schouten, whose final margin of victory was 8.405 secs. "Jim Brooks and John Sharrard have done a great job helping me out this weekend."

Lesieur admitted to feeling worn our after competing in the Yoshimura Pro Sport Bike race earlier in the day.

"I was sliding a little bit; I've got oil on my boot," she added. "It was hard to put on the throttle."

Provost ran fourth in the early laps behind the Waznie Racing Kawasaki ZX-6R of Amy Karthaus. But Karthaus missed a shift going onto the back straight on lap five and the Laval, QC racer was able to close in, finally making the pass on the final lap.

"I thought I was going to finish fourth and then I saw I was catching Amy," Provost said. "I saw her getting closer so I started pushing harder. I actually had three chances to pass her but I kept messing it up."

Vanessa Gareau-Dominguez, the points leader coming into this event, finished fifth on her Seamont Brokerage Suzuki GSX-R600.

The Women's Cup competitors will go back at it at Mosport Sunday morning at 11:40 a.m. (EDT).

Race Results
1. Vicki Schouten, Richmond, ON, Kawasaki ZX-6R 8 laps
2. Genevieve Lesieur, Quebec, QC, Suzuki GSX-R600 +8.405
3. Natalie Catherine Provost, Laval, QC, Honda CBR600RR +18.293
4. Amy Karthaus, Brantford, ON, Kawasaki ZX-6R +19.063
5. Vanessa Gareau-Dominguez, Montreal, QC, Suzuki GSX-R600 +32.254
6. Roxanne Gravelle, Gatineau, QC, Yamaha YZF-R6 +34.043
7. Josee Bouchard, Ottawa, ON, Yamaha YZF-R6 +46.279
8. Nadine Lajoie, Ile-Perrot, QC, Honda CBR600RR +1:02.520
9. Kana Matsumoto, Aurora, ON, Suzuki SV650 +1:13.370
10. Samantha Goyer, Ottawa, ON, Yamaha YZF-R6 +1:29.058
11. Marie-Helene Pare, Quebec, QC, Suzuki GSX-R600 +1 lap
Did Not Start
Karen Grujic, Cambridge, ON, Kawasaki ZX-6R
Fastest Lap: 1:27.998 by Vicki Schouten on lap 3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive