Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ulrich ruled out of Barber action

From Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki

Chris Ulrich's AMA Pro Road Racing season came to an early end as he was forced to withdraw from the season finale weekend at Barber Motorsport Park. Still suffering from his 125mph spill at the previous round at New Jersey Motosports Park, the Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki rider was further injured in a press launch incident at Willow Springs Raceway.

He attempted to ride on Friday but his body was still not sufficiently healed for the highly physical act of piloting a Superbike around Barber Motorsports Park.

"We got back from New Jersey and I just started to be able to resume my regular training program and everything was coming around," Ulrich explained. "I went to Willow Springs for a press launch for the magazine and someone dropped some oil on the track. When I got to it there was nothing I could do and it highsided me and I landed on top of the bike. I did some damage to my pelvis and smashed my ankle quite badly.

"I couldn't walk at the time but did a lot of therapy before coming here and was hopeful I'd be able to compete. But when we got here, it all just proved too much. Every time I hit a bump it felt like someone was sticking a needle in the nerve. Overnight it swelled and it was starting to affect the function of my leg and then there was no point trying to continue on.

"It's a tough way to end the year and you always want to say, 'We'll try again tomorrow,' but it's only going to get worse. It’s the correct move, unfortunately."

The Californian was very upbeat about his season overall, however, having scored 14 top-10 finishes while demonstrating the pace to take the fight to the class' established stars.

"It's a disappointing way to end things, but it was a good year," Ulrich said. "The first eight or nine laps at New Jersey were probably the highlight. We were really starting to show very strong pace at the end of the year.

"I'm happy with my season; I took a huge step forward in my career. At the end of 2009 I felt I had to do something to step it up and I feel I've done that this year. I'm really looking forward to coming back next year and fighting just as hard on Superbike and enjoying my racing."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive