Thursday, October 23, 2008

Gibernau back in MotoGP

From motogp.com

Sete Gibernau was officially unveiled as a participant in the 2009 MotoGP World Championship on Thursday evening, confirming his comeback as part of the new Onde 2000 Ducati project.

The former MotoGP World Championship runner-up will ride with the number 59 in the upcoming campaign. Speaking at the team's official presentation in Valencia, Gibernau explained his motivation for a return to competition after two seasons on the sidelines.

"I'm excited about what it means to be a MotoGP rider, I've come back to enjoy it again and it's a good opportunity for me. That's my main goal; to enjoy riding. I'm still open to learning again, even at 35," said Gibernau, whose comeback came as a result of a chain of circumstances begun by a visit to this year's race at Barcelona. The Spaniard agreed to an initial one-off test with Ducati in Mugello, which he repeated on further occasions as a return became more viable.

While the decision to re-enter the World Championship was ultimately an easy one for Gibernau, he doesn't expect it to be plain sailing. Having followed two seasons of racing as a spectator, he has seen the new generation of riders come through, and already knows just how difficult it is to be competitive at the highest level.

"I've been watching and I've been impressed with the riders. I have a lot of respect for them and I have to be conscious that it's going to be difficult. I'm going to have to work very hard and I'm ready for that," he concluded.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive