Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Szoke pleased with factory debut

By Jeremy Fleming

MONTEREY, CA -- “It went pretty good, really,” explained Jordan Szoke following his factory Kawasaki ninth place effort at the final round of the 2008 AMA Superbike Championship at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on Sept. 28. “I’m pretty happy. We didn’t wreck anything, and that’s the main thing. With the way things have gone for them, they really wanted a finish.”

Fresh from his third straight Canadian Superbike title clinching effort at Shannonville on Labour Day Weekend, Szoke was drafted in to the works Monster Energy-backed ZX-10R team as a last minute substitute for Roger Lee Hayden.

The youngest of the famous Hayden brothers has missed most of the year with injuries, starting with a finger amputating incident in qualifying for round two of the tour at Barber back in April.

American Kawasaki team manager Mike Preston also confirmed at Laguna that Brett McCormick would have been given a tryout on Hayden’s title winning ZX-6R. However McCormick opted not to race for Canadian Kawasaki in 2009, spoiling the chance for the 17-year-old Saskatchewan ace to make his first career AMA factory outing.

Unfortunately for Szoke, the Laguna finale was a single race weekend, with no Friday practice available, let alone the typical Thursday promoter's sessions. This meant Szoke would have to make the step up from the 185 horsepower, production oriented Parts Canada Superbike Championship machine to the full blown AMA 230 hp monster Ninja in just three sessions.

Szoke struggled with the traction control, the team restricting the 1000cc engine’s performance to provide Szoke with more confidence. Instead, the usually agressive Szoke was frustrated by the electronics. Thanks to his time a year ago on the factory MotoGP Kawasaki, “Jordan of the Jungle” understands that in the long run full engine management is a requirement, however he did struggle with the set-up on the works 2008 ZX-10R.

“I get how all of this works, but there just wasn’t much time to get past the team’s regular settings, past what Hacking likes best,” explained Szoke, referring to team leader Jamie Hacking. “Every time out on the like I was learning things, and the chassis wasn’t as much different from my Canadian bike as I expected.”

Szoke was also using 16.5 inch Dunlop slicks, instead of the Pirelli spec rubber he has utilized to such devastating effect during the past three Canadian seasons. On a positive note, Szoke is a big fan of the Laguna venue, even though he has not been a regular on the AMA scene since his tour with Corona Suzuki in 2002.

Szoke’s second session on the bike was Saturday afternoon qualifying, and things worked well, the five-time Canadian Champ winding up 11th on the starting grid. Szoke was two seconds away from polesitter Matt Mladin’s Yoshimura Suzuki with a best lap of 1:25.6. However, teammate Hacking suffered a huge crash when he did the infamous side saddle/bull ride thing exiting turn nine, ending his season with a concussion and hand injuries.

Prior to the race, Szoke thought he could perhaps dice with the tail works riders including Miguel Duhamel, but the poor launch changed his race.

“Yeah, I got about the worst start of my career, I don’t know how I pulled that off,” said Szoke, shaking his head following the race. “Everything was good at first, but then it stood right up, and I was close to dead last into turn two.

“From there, I rode the best I could, but the engine was in such a conservative mode, I couldn’t really ride the bike the way I wanted to. The bike was great, it handled way better than I was warned it would, but to be honest, I was a little frustrated with the performance - I know it can go, but I didn’t have the all-out set-up.”

Szoke made his way to ninth, passing the top privateers but well behind his stated “A” works opposition. One of the top “B” guys didn’t give up without a fight, however, and fast Albertan Chris Peris chased Szoke hard for the second half of the 28-lap final.

Aboard the privateer Superstock class EPS Suzuki GSX-R1000, Peris ran one of the best races of his career, pushing his fellow Canadian and making the pass for ninth on the last lap. Szoke had to push an aggressive move inside Peris in the final turn to wind up in front.

“Chris was riding well, and he passed me on the power,” commented the amazed Szoke of their battle. “That shows that my bike could be made a little quicker, at least.”

Trap speeds showed that Szoke was the second slowest factory full-blown Superbike at 144.8 mph, while Peris was good for 143.56. Best run through the official AMA traps was new Champ Ben Spies at 148.74

Szoke is hopeful that his careful approach to the “call up” effort will yield further opportunities with the American “mean green” squad.

“I might change some things if I had to do it again, but in racing things aren’t ever exactly the way you want, you have to make the best of every opportunity,” admitted Szoke. “I really like that bike, and I think it handles a lot better than its reputation suggests. I think with some time I could do well on it, work on my set-up.

"It was a great opportunity, I really appreciate the chance and all the faith their team put in me, but like with the GP bike, it just makes you want more.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive