Monday, April 28, 2008

Second and third MX2 places in Portugal for Rattray and Searle

From KTM

Agueda, PT - Red Bull KTM riders Tyla Rattray and Tommy Searle took the minor podium places on Sunday in the MX2 Grand Prix of Portugal, conceding defeat only to title holder Antonio Cairoli of Italy.

Searle and Rattray came in second and third in race one and then reversed the order for race two, a sure fire indication that both are in good form after the mud bath race last weekend in Bellpuig, Spain. Rui Goncalves the team's third factory rider came in sixth in front of his home crowd in Agueda, Portugal to wind up a solid weekend's racing for the team.

Rattray was very disappointed to relinquish the coveted red number plate for the first time this season but promised that he and Searle planned to mount a real challenge for the championship title this year. "Still I was happy with my starts and with my riding style. I lost some time in the first heat and it took me some time to catch up with Searle and Cairoli, but I finished in third and I did not crash. In the second heat I was squeezed a bit by Searle and Cairoli in the first part of the race but I came back from eighth to third then Searle had a small crash and I finished second."

Searle, who will race in the USA from 2009, is clearly back in form after two difficult races in the first two GPs of the season in the heavy wet sand of Valkenswaard, Holland and in the severe mud of Bellpuig. "Today was good but it could be even better," Searle said. "I got the holeshot in the first heat and I was out in front for quite a long time so I was able to show Cairoli that I have the speed. Then I had a small crash in the second heat but if that had not happened I would have been able to catch him. I am very happy because this was a proper race for me. It was tough but I had no problems like I had here last year and that's a sign that I am much fitter."

Rui Goncalves rose to the occasion in front of his home crowd and said the level of support he got from the fans was a real energy booster. "I was very satisfied with my riding. I rode well, I got some good lap times, I pushed hard and got some good points," he said.

Tyla now has to relinquish the lead in the championship by five points after Cairoli's double victory on the hard and bumpy surface of the Portuguese track. Tommy Searle is in third place and Rui Goncalves is in fifth.

MX2 Results
1. Antonio Cairoli, Italy, Yamaha
2. Tyla Rattray, South Africa KTM
3. Tommy Searle, Britain, KTM
4. Stephen Sword. Britain, Kawasaki
5. Nicolas Aubin, France, Yamaha
6. Rui Goncalves, Portugal
8. Jeremy van Horebeek, Belgium KTM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive