Monday, April 21, 2008

Windham tightens championship battle with win

From Live Nation News

St. Louis, MO - Torco Honda’s Kevin Windham picked up his third main event win of the season and tightened the championship race in the Monster Energy® AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, before a crowd of 48,698 at the Edward Jones Dome. Torco Honda’s Trey Canard clinched his first-ever AMA Supercross Lites class championship with a win.

Kawasaki’s Kelly Smith won the $1,500 Progressive Direct Holeshot Award to begin the 20-lap AMA Supercross class main event. Team San Manuel Yamaha’s Chad Reed, took over the lead on the opening lap but would give way to the hard-charging Windham, who steadily pulled away for the win.

Windham, who entered tonight’s race trialing Reed by 16 points, cut the deficit to 13 points with two races remaining. Reed, who is riding with a cracked shoulder blade, turned in a valiant ride to earn second. Red Bull Honda’s Andrew Short finished third.

“Tonight I just wanted to put myself into a good position,” said Windham. “(Chad) put himself in a good position to not lose too many points tonight. It’s all about me now and I feel good about the ride I put in tonight. I’m giving it all I can and that alone feels good.”

Added Reed, “(My shoulder’s) definitely a lot better than last weekend. I just couldn’t make it happen in the whoops. I didn’t want to lay (the bike) down, so I rode for second tonight. I want this title and I’m not about to let it go. I feel like I’ve let these guys into this points battle all season long by making mistakes.”

Canard, grabbed the $1,000 Progressive Direct Holeshot Award off the start of the AMA Supercross Lites main event as Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, settled into third place. Canard held a three-point lead heading into the series finale in St. Louis.

Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Branden Jesseman, took over the lead on the opening lap, with Canard and Villopoto settling into second and third, respectively. The win and the championship would ultimately be decided at the end of lap four as both Villopoto and Canard got by Jesseman. With Villopoto out front, Canard slid to the inside and made contact with Villopoto, sending Villopoto into the finish line jump and off the track.

Canard kept his balance and took over sole possession of the lead and walked away with the first professional AMA Championship of his career.

“I really didn’t mean to take him out,” said Canard, a four-time winner on the season. “I think that’s racing and I would expect him to do the same to me if it came down to this last race. I really wanted this championship since I was like three years old. I just trained hard all week long and I can’t thank my team enough for getting this championship.”

Jesseman finished second while Torco Honda’s Josh Grant was third.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive