Thursday, February 14, 2008

A day off

It was a long night. I had some Cipro that the travel doctor had prescribed in case I contracted dysentery, and this seemed an opportune time to start taking it. By about 6am I was starting to feel better, and I went for breakfast and shoved down a couple of poached eggs and a slice of dry toast. All of the English guests were going out to see a boy's choir and eat crumpets or something of the like, but the Germans invited me to join them at throwing axe and slingshot practice. While still feeling a little shaky, I was keen to participate in this unique form of recreation. I bullseyed the tin can twice with the slingshot – best o' the bunch – and consistently sunk the big-ass Gransfors double-bladed throwing axe into the tree stump. Yowza!

The rest of the day was a non-event. I was still feeling a bit under the weather, and my back hurt like hell – probably from dead-lifting the GS. Bed and codeine seemed like an appropriate activity.

About half-way through the day I roused myself and sat in the sun for a while, looking over a vast plain and to the mountains beyond. The sky was still heavy, but there was no rain and the gravid cumulus clouds seemed content to congregate around the mountains. Although I was thoroughly enjoying this expedition, having some time on my hands I came to realize that an experience such as this needs to be shared. I would sorely like to return here someday with a bike-riding companion.

Hopefully the weather would hold through tomorrow, when I would make my way to Zimbali Lodge, near Durban, to meet up for the start of the BMW F800GS bike launch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive