Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Teams test the waters at 25th Starcross

By Jeff Morgan with files from Yamaha Racing and KTM Racing

MANTOVA, ITALY – This past weekend marked the 25th running of the Starcross International, a warm-up to the 2008 world motocross championships. Mantova gave teams the chance to show off some of their latest recruits, and for the old guard to work the bugs out before the season starts.

The overall winner in the MX1 class was the familiar name of David Philippaerts, who made the switch from KTM to Yamaha for the 2008 season. He was followed by team-mate, Josh Coppins. Third position was taken by KTM’s, Jonathan Barragan.

Philippaerts felt confident following the race and stated, “This is a good start to the year and I am very happy for the team and everybody. The bike was really good today. It is very fast, maybe too fast for me at the moment!”

Coppins was disappointed following the race and said, “I am happy it is all over as I don’t really like this track, I crashed on Saturday and hurt my shoulder. It was a tough weekend.”

Barragan was pleased with his result and his team: “These were two good days for me. I have been training in the USA so I haven't had too much time to ride the new bike yet but I am very happy with my new team and having KTM behind me helps a lot.”

In MX2, KTM’s Tommy Searle had a solid weekend, as did teammate Rui Goncalves in third. The orange riders were split by Kawasaki rider Gautier Paulin in second.

“I am very happy to win today. My speed was good and I like the new frame of the bike a lot. This was very important race for me but I know everyone is going to improve between now and when the Grand Prix season starts in March,” Searle said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive