Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Monster Energy Supercross goes to RCA Dome for the final time


From Live Nation

Indiapolis, IN - The 17th and final Monster Energy® Supercross, a FIM World Championship, race at Indianapolis’ historic RCA Dome will take place this Saturday. Last weekend in Atlanta Honda’s Davi Millsaps and Torco Fuels Honda’s Trey Canard each earned the first wins of their respective careers, and they will bring that momentum into the RCA Dome this weekend.

Last week in front of 67,429 fans at Atlanta’s Georgia Dome, Team San Manuel’s Chad Reed, jumped out of the gate and won the $1,500 Progressive Holeshot Award with Millsaps and Team San Manuel’s Nathan Ramsey, following in second and third respectively.

While leading, Reed crashed before the finish line on lap six and re-mounted in 11th place. Millsaps assumed the lead while last week’s winner, Kevin Windham, moved into second place on lap six but was unable to reel in Millsaps. Red Bull Honda’s Andrew Short, moved into third in the race and finished on the podium.

“I stuck it out, and put in 20 hard laps,” said Millsaps “My whole family is here, so I am pumped to do this in front of them. I was coming off a mess of injuries last year, and I am healthy now, so it makes a huge difference.”

Canard won the $1,000 Progressive Holeshot Award with KTM’s Ryan Sipes, in tow. Reigning Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites champion, Ryan Villopoto, crashed in turn one along with Torco Fuels Honda’s Josh Grant. Both Villopoto and Grant were heavy favorites to win the main event.

“I do not know what to say,” said Canard after the race. “I am so excited, and I want to dedicate this win to my deceased father. I was very consistent tonight, and I do not want to get too excited about tonight’s win because this is a long season.”

The first AMA Supercross race at the RCA Dome was March 21, 1992, where Honda’s Jeff Stanton won the main event. Yamaha’s Jimmy Button won the first AMA Supercross Lites main event the same evening. Seven-time supercross champion Jeremy McGrath holds the AMA Supercross all-time win record at the RCA Dome with six.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive