Friday, February 8, 2008

South Africa or bust!

It's not all fun and games here at the luxurious Inside Motorcycles headquarters. At least a couple of times a year the hammer drops in the form of a hazardous assignment, far from home. But we're all team players here, and there isn't one of us who will fail to rise to the challenge for Inside Motorcycles magazine. This time it was my turn.

"Jason, I know how much you love February here in Canada," began David Weber. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, and I knew that bad news was imminent. "But would you be willing to fly to South Africa and represent the mag at BMW's launch of the F800 GS adventure touring motorcycle?

"After all, it's only four days." David looked so despondent, so sad, that I knew there was more to it. "And there's one other thing. we also need you to participate in an event that's been set up by Safari Junction, a motorcycle safari outfit. You're gonna have to ride around South Africa for five days on a GS1200 Adventure, staying at guest houses and game reserves. I am so sorry about this, Jason."

I stretched my arms out to my sides, Christ-like, and accepted my fate. It was my turn to take one for the team.

Despite the dangers and the inconvenience of it all, this looks like it'll be an interesting trip, one that I've always promised myself I'd make before I end up pushing up the daisys at life's end. I'll be posting updates here on the IM blog on a nightly basis, or whenever an internet connection is available.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive